Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I used to be a man.

Not really but it caught your attention, didn't it? So a friend of mine stopped by today to bring me a hat her mother-in-law made for me. It's a hat made especially for women with alopecia or women who've lost their hair due to chemo. I just love it, thanks Juli. Juli was a preschool mom of mine when I was the director at Resurrection Lutheran School here in town. I had both her boys in school and over the years have run into them in town here and there. So, she's not someone with whom I socialize or see on a regular basis. The point I'm trying to make is Juli and I don't see a lot of each other but here I am going through chemo and having a bit of a struggle and Juli calls me out of the blue to bring me a gift. She thought of me. She made it a point to get me a hat and bring it to my house. She's a busy chick, not someone who has time to sit around the house and eat bon bons (at least I don't think she does). So, thank you for taking time out of your day for me. Oh, by the way, she got to see the boob in process today. She was quite impressed with my doctor's handy work. I'm amazed every day by the people who are so busy dealing with every day stuff in their own lives who have time to stop and get a pizza for my kids, or come by to pick them up for church, or neighbors who let them tag along to the ballpark, people who offer to pick up the kids from school or just come by and take them for an afternoon if I need it. You know who you are. Thanks.

I had an interesting conversation with another friend yesterday who told me she enjoyed reading my blog. She made the suggestion that I do a little more with it, perhaps even write for the local newspaper. Well, that thought certainly never crossed my mind. I started this as a way to maybe bring a little humor to something that is not at all funny. I thought maybe if there is someone out there who is struggling with not just cancer but anything, can read this and giggle a little, then I've done my job. My goal here is to lighten what can sometimes be a very heavy life. Take a load off, sit down, relax and breathe! But, Cliff Ann, you got me thinking. So, I did what I told you I would do. I emailed Ellen DeGeneres. (love her!!) I thanked her for making me laugh as I was recuperating, as I was in chemo funk and mentioned Booby Doo. If she mentions mammograms on her show and one woman gets one, then, again, my job is done.

Not to switch gears, but does anyone have a child who gets obsessed with something and WILL NOT SHUT UP ABOUT IT??? Mikey, my 10 year old, who, by the way, on Saturday told me he wished it was him who was sick and not me (he takes after his mother) is obsessing over this Thrillville game for the Wii. Can I tell ya I'm sick of it, and who let him buy it?? That would be me. Thank God he's healthy enough to aggravate the paint off a car.

Ok, before I leave you, one question. Do you ever pick up the keyboard to your computer and see what's underneath?? We have one computer in the house and it's a desktop, so the kids use it as well. I just found birdseed, a caster for one of the dining room chairs, cheese cracker crumbs, hair (mine when I had it), and a mini skate board. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment