Monday, October 25, 2010

Oh No, Not The Pumpkin Lady Again!

Did you realize that earwax has an adhesive property? Really, it does. As we were sitting in church on Sunday, I noticed Mikey, who was seated to my right, had this orange-ish brown-ish funky stuff coming out of his ear. So, being the reverent Lutheran I am, I put my glasses on and jerked his head, by the earlobe, toward me so I could get a better look. All this during the sermon, mind you. Anyway, as I was peering at the funk, Johnathan leaned over and said, "Mom, what's that coming out of Mikey's ear??" "SHHHH", I replied. "No talking during the sermon!" Earwax protruding out of the ear canal is a huge pet peeve of mine. So, this morning, after his shower, I reminded Mikey of the, well, you know, funk. As I was cleaning his ears, I was reminded of what the doctor says about Q-Tips. Bad, bad, bad. Don't put those things in your ears!! WHAT??? How do you get the funk out without digging it out with a Q-Tip???
Anyway, there he was, poor Mikey, standing in his room this morning about 7:00, mom digging in the ears with a Q-Tip, all of this before breakfast. To my left is Mikey's waist basket. So, after cleaning his ears, I toss the brown-ish, orange-ish, chunky Q-Tip toward the waist basket. I missed, and hit the side of the waist basket. Instead of bouncing off and landing on the carpet, it stuck to the side!!!! Yep, that Q-Tip had enough earwax on it to glue those tile things back on the space shuttle. Welcome to my world, people.

So, at preschool this week, we are learning about the letter "J" and jack 0 lanterns. As a craft we are decorating small pumpkins that we've grown on a vine outside using magic pumpkin seeds. (Long story.) Well, we all know there's no such thing as magic pumpkin seeds, but the kids don't know that so I had to come up with small pumpkins. Off to Walmart, where else? I needed to buy 23 mini pumpkins, 17 for my class and 6 for the younger class. There were 2 enormous bins of them in the produce section with a sign reading 58 cents each. Yeah!! Cheap pumpkins! So, I started digging through the bins looking for the biggest ones I could find. Finally, after I loaded 25 (2 extra) little pumpkins into my cart, I push it over to the checkout. I went to the express checkout thinking the cashier would be able to scan one pumpkin and enter 25 quantity. OH NO! The checkout lady looks at me and says, "Those are 58 cents per pound, not 58 cents each." Seriously??? Back to the enormous bins I go, now digging for the smallest pumpkins I can find. The preschool's paying for these things, so I've gotta go cheap!! Have you ever pulled an apple or orange from the bottom? What happens when you do?? Yep, I had a mini pumpkin avalanche. I must've been there for an hour trying to prevent pumpkin spillage all the while trying to save the preschool a few bucks. What I won't do for those precious little angels in my class! Get ready, Ms. Melodie. We're breaking out the glitter tomorrow!!

Thanks for all the continued support. I go back on Thursday for my next treatment. Things are settling down and its seems as though I'm sleeping a little better. Maybe I'm on the way back. Stay well my friends. Remind someone you love to get a mammogram. You may just save a life. And remember, if you run out of superglue, come to my house. We'll clean Mikey's ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment