Wednesday, September 8, 2010

She's Baaaaack!!

Isn't it funny how God puts you where you need to be? A few weeks ago, I attended a Christian Ed. meeting at church. This was the first meeting of this kind I attended. Before we got started, I was informed that one of the preschool teachers had quit. School was starting in 6 days, and the preschool, for whom I was the director for 5 years was in need. I told the current director that I would be happy to help if she needed me. (I resigned two years ago because I thought my family and I would be moving to Raleigh where Michael and I have a business. That didn't work out, and here we are.) So, the next night, Pam, the director of the preschool called and asked if I'd meet her. Long story, yes, I know, longer not shorter, I'm the new pre-k teacher. How funny life works. I wasn't planning on working yet, still recovering and all. However, God had a different plan. My partner, Melodie and I have 17 students. Some of these children I've known since they were babies and some I've only known big brothers or sisters. Some are brand new to me. Already, they have a piece of my heart. Every time I get tired or have some kind of muscle or joint ache, I think, maybe I've made a mistake. Maybe I shouldn't be working so soon after finishing chemo. Then, a little face pops in my head. Usually it's Branson's and I think, no way am I leaving these kids. God put me here for a reason and I'm not quitting on them. Did you ever see the movie an Officer and a Gentleman? I remember the scene where Louis Gossett, Jr. is trying to make Richard Gere quit and all he keeps repeating is, "I aint quitting, I aint quitting!!" That's me. Richard Gere. I used to be George Clooney (with moobs), now I'm Richard Gere. I aint quitting! So, the Queen of Love and Beauty (yep, that's me) is back to stay. I'm looking forward to a great year with my new family, all 17 of them. Thank you to all my parents for sharing these wonderful children with me. It's gonna be a blast!

My hair is getting thicker by the day. Of course, so are the gray hairs. It's not growing as fast as I'd like it to, but I'm not compaining. I go back to see my plastic surgeon next week, and hopefully he'll agree with me that I need some tweeking. I'm still pretty uneven, but thankfully it's not noticeable in a sports bra and t-shirt. The hot flashes are still bad, but fall is just around the corner and I think the cooler weather will help. My hands are still swollen, most days I can't wear any rings, but that, too will pass. Just like a bad piece of corn.

Well, off to pick up the boys at bible study. Thank you, my friends for all your support. It means more than you'll ever know. Hug your kids tightly. One day they'll smell too bad to hug at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment