Chemo's over but I still feel like I'm in chemo funk and it's been almost three weeks. Enough already. I actually got a nap today, though. First nap I've been able to take in months so I guess I'm on the upswing. Anyhow, Monday I go for my next treatment. Just herceptin, not chemo so hopefully I'll be bouncing back quickly. Speaking about bouncing, imagine having one cantaloupe on your chest and one deflated balloon filled with rice. Yeah, one bounces and the other doesn't move, I mean doesn't move. That'll be over soon. Then I'll have two that don't move!! Hurray! I guess my hair will start to grow back in a few weeks. I've lost a few eye brow hairs and a few eyelashes. My eyelashes are pretty long and I've been hoping and praying that I wouldn't lose them. I think if I continued with my treatment, I'd end up being bald as an egg. So, I keep telling my lashes to hold on and don't let go. They're doing pretty well, and I still have most of them. What would I do with all that Lancome mascara????
So, Thursday Johnathan comes running into the house with his hand over his eye, crying. He's telling me he was hit with a kick ball (you know the balls that you find in Walmart in those big bins) while he and Mikey were playing stick ball with the boys next door. So, being the compassionate mom I am, I tell him he's fine and to go back outside. Before he goes back out, I get out my old lady glasses and take a look. Holy crap, his beautiful big brown pupil is nothing but red blood. So, off to the ER we go. The triage nurse takes him into the hallway to have him read the eye chart. As he's holding his hand over the good eye, she's standing in front of him waving at him and he can't see her. Yeah, talk about scared. Here's my first born, the one I prayed to have for a year, blinded in one eye. So they decide to transfer us via ambulance to Levine Children's Center in Charlotte. Two hours pass and we find out there's a terrible accident in Shelby and all the EMT's are there. Evidently there was a high speed chase and a state trooper and pedestrian were both seriously injured. Finally we get our ambulance and off we go to Charlotte. Let me say, the doctors and nurses were wonderful. We waited in the exam room maybe 5 minutes before we had 2 nurses, a patient advocate, and 2 doctors examining Johnathan. Long story short, his vision was beginning to return because the blood covering his pupil had begun to be absorbed. They sent us home that night (Michael came home early from Raleigh) around midnight. Luckily Lori picked Mikey up from next door so he was taken care of. We went to the doctor yesterday for a follow up and it continued to improve. We went back to the doctor today and will go again tomorrow. Thank goodness for weekend hours. The doctor today said the first 3 days are the most critical. They want to make sure it doesn't start to bleed again. So, hopefully he will make a full recovery. But I guarantee he won't be the pitcher the next time the boys get together and play stick ball! According to Mr. Rusty, (father of the boy who hit the ball that hit Johnathan) the new rule is, when you pitch, you wear a helmet with face guard. So, you parents out there with kids who play baseball, or any kind of sport where there is a possibility of eye injury, be careful! Your child might look like a geek with a helmet on, but at least he'll be safe!!!
My sister and brother in law are driving in from San Antonio next week with the kids, (they have 3) so the boys and I will be joining them at mom and dad's at the beach. My only problem is what to wear to the pool and beach. Again, cantaloupe and rice filled, deflated balloon. Imagine that in a bathing suit.....prettttttty. Can't wait for my reconstruction to be finished. Anyone who has had this procedure knows what I'm talking about. My own child even said to me the other day, "Mom, your kinda lopsided." Unless I'm in a loose fitting t-shirt, I'm lopsided. Oh well, could be worse. I could be dead. And on that note, have a great day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment