Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Toe Fungus is Killing Me!!

Yipeeee!!! I went to have my herceptin treatment last Tuesday and I casually asked my doctor when I would be finished. It's been a year, and I knew I was close to being finished. Guess what?? He looked in his computer, looked at me, and said, "Yep, you can be done." REALLY?? Now, I know that I already beat this thing called cancer, but I was still fighting as long as I was still having treatment. I can't even describe the feeling I had when I was told I was done. No more treatment, which means I don't have to fight anymore! I am officially the winner! My chemo port is coming out on Wednesday and I should be hearing from my plastic surgeon about my final (hopefully) surgery soon. It's kinda like winning the lottery, paying off your mortgage and winning the super bowl all in 5 minutes, only 1000 times better. Thank you for all your prayers and positive thoughts. It brought me through. Mom and dad will be coming to stay with me for a few months. After his back surgery in December,dad's not done that well. I've been telling them it's about time they think about moving closer to me, and I guess it's time. He had an appointment with his surgeon at Duke Hospital last week, and he also agreed it would be a good idea for them to move in with me, at least until he's back on his feet. So, this weekend was spent getting ready. We've taken down Mikey's bunk beds, bought a new bed and recliner for dad, along with a new tv for the bedroom. He's temporarily taking Mikey's room, and Mikey's moving upstairs with Johnathan. So, after cleaning out Mikey's room (don't even know what to say about that, except now I know where all his socks went) and moving one of the beds out of the guest room to Johnathan's room upstairs, cleaning Johnathan's room to make room for Mikey, blah blah blah blah blah, I'm exhausted! Did I mention we're remodeling the bathroom this week? We're (well, not we, Jeff and Paul) removing the tub and replacing it with a 5 foot shower so dad doesn't have to step in and out of the tub. Mom and dad will be coming back with us when the boys and I go to visit them at the beach next week during spring break. His next follow up appt at Duke is in July, so they'll be here at least until then. We're all excited about them coming, but mostly I want my dad to get back on his feet. I've never seen him so weak. Being around the boys will help too, I think. Needless to say, all I wanted to do today was just chill out and relax. Went to church this morning, came home and made brunch. But, what was that, what, oh, crap, I still have about 8 more loads of laundry to do. How can 4 people make so much laundry?? I have 3 loads of dark clothes alone, not to mention the 3 loads of bleach and how many loads of sheets??? Alas, at least I don't have to bang the clothes on a rock to get them clean. Thank God for Whirlpool! As I'm folding my third load of sheets, one of those commercials comes on tv about that man's issue. You know, the people in the bath tubs at the beach. So, I'm thinking, if that feeling can happen at any moment, why didn't it happen yesterday as Michael and I were moving furniture and finding Mikey's dirty socks shoved into his tv stand?? Oh well, I guess you'll never see the Medlins on the beach in bath tubs. Gimme a break, who would do that????? Thirty minutes after Mikey is supposed to be in bed, he comes running into my room in just his little boxer briefs, "Mom!!!! I have this toe fungus and it's killing me!!!" "Well, if you'd wash with soap, you wouldn't have to fungus. Now, go to bed!" was my response. Loving, caring, compassionate mother that I am, I'm tired and your toe fungus wasn't killing you while you were playing on the Wii with Brian and Kevin from next door, was it??? The child would do anything to get out of anything! Good night, all. And remember, when that feeling hits, just hope you're on the beach in a bath tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment