Tuesday, March 16, 2010

First Day of Chemo

Well, day one of chemo was a very long day. Lori and I arrived at the oncologist's office at 8:40 this morning and didn't get started until 9:45. They started me off with an anti-nausea drug, then the three drugs I'll be taking, starting with taxotere, then carboplatin and last but not least herceptin. The room was set up with 5 or 6 recliners and over the course of the day, different people came and went. We met a 34 year old woman who has stage 4 breast cancer, a woman with leukemia, a woman with stomach cancer and a woman who's cancer has spread to her bones. She'll need chemo every week for the rest of her life. Boy, I could be so much worse off. My chemo is preventative. It's very humbling going into something like this when my biggest concern is hair loss when some of these people may very well die. I told Johnathan yesterday when he expressed concern over me having to go through chemo that this will not kill me. I'm not sick and I'm not in pain. I guess I have to keep reminding myself of this. We were finally finished by about 2:45 and boy were we ready to leave. It had been a very long day, indeed and I know we were both glad to see that last drip in my iv bag. Pastor Hobby stopped by as the last little bit of herceptin was dripping into my veins. What a good guy. Couldn't ask for a more caring and compassionate pastor. Funny, too. I am so blessed to have such wonderful people in my life. Don't take that for granted. Love hard, forgive often and laugh lots!

No comments:

Post a Comment